The Ono Initiative
Ono Pharma Foundation carries out the Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program (“Ono Initiative”), a competitive awards program to support scientific research projects throughout the United States. Ono initiative is the embodiment of our commitment to accelerate open innovation by supporting high-risk and high-reward science research projects, which have potential to lead to science discoveries/solutions and, possible, based on further research, to breakthrough treatments for patients.Learn More
The goals of the Ono Initiative are:
Identify and help develop innovative research proposals and results that could lead to the development of breakthrough treatment solutions for patients.
Support academic research and the career development of promising young and established scientists.
Build strong relationships within the community in order to lead to transformative research aligned with the Ono Initiative’s goals.
The purpose of the Ono Initiative is to support scientist Principal Investigators (“PIs”) with creative ideas in selected scientific research fields with the mission of seeking discoveries/solutions and development of high impact science. The goals of the Ono Initiative are:About
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The Ono Initiative supports creative research conducted by emerging Chemical Biologists in search of new discoveries, solutions, and the development of high-impact science.
The goals of the Ono Initiative are to:
- Identify and develop innovative research proposals and results that could lead to the development of breakthrough treatment solutions for patients.
- Support academic research and the career development of promising young and established scientists.
- Build strong relationships within the community in order to lead to transformative research aligned with Ono Initiative's interest.
Applicants must meet the following requirements. Letter of Interest (LOI) and final Proposals from applicants not meeting the requirements listed below will not be considered.
- PIs applying must be working at one of the nominating institutions. Nominating institutions might be replaced or added to in subsequent years.
- The PI must have an MD and/or a PhD degree.
- The PI must be a new applicant to the Ono Initiative, or, if they are a returning applicant, must be applying for a project different from the one they previously proposed.
- The PI must be a young and/or mid-career scientist (15 years or below of experience from starting independent academic position).
- The PI may not already be engaged in other sponsored research with Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and/or grant program with Ono Pharma Foundation.
- The PI may not apply for funding to amplify current work. However, PIs may research a new idea based on a prior finding of the PI.
- The PI must not be a healthcare professional (defined as individuals currently holding an active state license for which they are (a) qualified to prescribe, administer, use or supply any medicinal or medical products or (b) perform any professional clinical services). A PI with an MD but without an active state medical license is still eligible.
- PIs serving on a healthcare formulary or similar committee are not eligible.
- More detail as to eligibility criteria can be found in the “Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program: Program Information & Overview” document.
Applications will be assessed, and Awards will be made based upon the following criteria:
- Scientific merit of the research LOI and/or Proposal
- Relevance of proposed research to the mission of the Ono Initiative
- Technical considerations for the research
- Qualifications and relevant experience of the PI
- Evidence of a suitable research environment
The Ono Pharma Foundation selects all Awardees based upon recommendations of its Scientific Advisory Board (“SAB”), which is comprised of outside experts from the fields of Chemical Biology.